Like every other concept, master cleanse diet too has two sides. We all know the benefits it offers including detoxification, purging unwanted fat deposits, improving immune system and cleansing the body’s digestive system. We also have many Hollywood celebrities endorsing the same. But this article gives a glimpse of a different side to the story.
Popularly known as the ‘lemonade diet’ or ‘maple syrup diet’, this diet is basically a cocktail with lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper and water. Partakers of this diet must only consume this concoction during the 10 day or 18 day period and starve.
But nutrition and health experts say otherwise. Your body’s blood sugar level become dangerously low, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, liquid like bowel movements are just some of the repercussions you face.
Listed below are some the deleterious consequences or the master cleanse dangers of following this diet.
- Unlike, what people promise about this diet, which is mostly having stress free mood once detoxified, health practitioners say the contrary. Stress, emotional imbalance and unhappiness due to starvation. It will sap your motivation and create bloating problems, gas, loose stools etc. When the internal body system is not working fine, it will also not derive the happy hormones like serotonin, which will otherwise be obtained from healthy food.
- Another disadvantage this diet offers is the dependence on laxatives for your digestive system. Laxative tea is a part of the master cleanses diet regimen and helps in bowel movement. But once you break this fast on a periodic basis, your body gets dependent on these laxatives for bowel movement.
- For those partakers who follow this diet on a regular basis, have high chances of developing metabolic acidosis. This is due to the presence of high level of acid in your blood. Some of the symptoms are breathing difficulties and increased heart rate.
- A good and healthy electrolyte balance is necessary for proper functioning of heart, brain, muscles etc. An imbalance can lead to nerve functioning problems, kidney and heart diseases.
- Dehydration is also a commonly mention due to the lack of water intake in this diet.
The above mentioned disadvantages must be borne in mind if you ever intend to do a master cleanse. And also consult your nutritionist and make sure you don’t over do it. Your body too has its limits, so care for it and make it beautiful.